Jan 13, 2021
TIPS FOR DRIVING IN FREEZING RAIN & ON GLARE ICE:
1. If you don’t have to drive, don’t.
(But if you do.....)
2. Reduce speed. Be smooth. Drive like there’s eggs between your feet & the pedals. Do not make any sudden moves. Gently apply the brakes and accelerator.
3. Leave lots of distance between you and the vehicle in front of you. (At least 3 times more then you usually would). Rather then using the brakes, ease off the accelerator when possible.
4. Give yourself extra time to get to your destination. Be patient. Don’t pass.
5. See and BE seen. Turn your headlights on.
6. Plan Ahead. If you know a steep hill or sharp curve is coming up, back off the accelerator before you get to it.
7. If your windshield is icing up, put defrost on as high and hot as it will go.
8. Do NOT use cruise control. This may be obvious to many, but it’s not to everyone.
9. Bridge decks, Intersections, Overpasses, on/off ramps & Range Roads/Side roads will get icy first. Take extra care in these places even if the highways seem fine.
10. Focus. All your attention must be on the road and your surroundings. Try not to be tense and do not death grip the steering wheel.